Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

LAYLA

My novel LAYLA is finally up on Amazon. Many of you may recognize the name of my lovely Djinn, who helps the mechanic hero of the book, Cole Warren, run his ABC automotive repair shop in good old, Oakland, CA. Cole, while searching for stolen equipment, finds and buys an ancient oil lamp. He inadvertently releases Layla, a Djinn of immense power, granting him three wishes. Cole's no fool. He knows from folklore, books, and movies, the only outcome in wishing from the diabolical Djinn is a bad one. Cole sets her free instead, upsetting the cosmic balance. His freeing of the powerful Layla makes her into a beacon to the surviving past masters of the lamp, and they scramble for revenge. Because Cole freed Layla, he is immune from her power, and can wish without harm, resulting in his becoming a target as well. Chaos comes to Cole's tiny world of automotive repair, with a sometimes very funny handling of customers and coworkers by Cole's newly hired Djinn office manager, Layla. Here's the First Chapter
In other writing gambits, I'm approaching ten thousand words in my new novel, and fifty pages/fifty minutes in my screenplay adaptation of DEMON. No feedback yet from anyone I've queried, concerning my screenplay adaptation of HARD CASE. I will post it if I can even get someone to send me a rejection letter.  :)

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Congrats, man. I'll check it out.

BernardL said...

I think you read it on the blog, Charles. They do have a really nice nearly three chapter preview on the Amazon site. I'm glad they previewed as much as they did. Great news about Lana's checkup. I know it made Thanksgiving a much better time for you two.

raine said...

I remember most of this story. It was a kick! :)
Wishing you many sales, Bernard (and I like that cover).

BernardL said...

Thanks, Raine. I'm hoping to get the humor of it into the marketing phase. Layla was one of my favorite characters. Still to this day, when I get a cranky or obtuse customer in the shop, I imagine how Layla would handle them. :)