Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Return of The Captain

I heard someone cussing up a storm across the street yesterday, and saw the Captain sitting in the middle of the sidewalk, with his tied together shopping carts, I’ve dubbed the Good Ship Lollipop, docked a couple houses down. Our first encounter was blogged here http://bernardsblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/captain.html He didn’t have his eye patch on today, so I figured he had hit the ship’s store of rum pretty heavy, and decided he needed both eyes to navigate. I was being careful so as not to disturb the Captain; but in doing so, I missed a shot of the Good Ship Lollipop. I’ll have to post it at a later date. As entertaining as I’m sure our conversation would have been to blog about, it’s not nice to make enemies of the 38th Avenue denizens. Although my neighbors look out for my shop, they can’t guard it 24 hours a day, nor can I. The Captain rearranged the contents of his garbage bag, and then steered his shopping cart ship out of sight while I was handling a customer. We have a nice neighborhood here compared to a decade ago, so we all have to keep an eye on our more noteworthy wayfarers, like The Captain. :)

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Most of the street people in New Orleans are in the French Quarter area, which I hardly ever go to. Interesting story of the Captain.

BernardL said...

Charles, after seeing ‘The Hanged Man’, set at the Mardi Gras with Robert Culp in the early sixties, I went to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras after getting out of the service at the end of 1972. I worked at an Exxon station on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge, and the guy I worked with took me to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras of 1973. It’s one of those times where I wished I’d kept the memory of the movie, rather than try to live it. We were lucky to get out of there alive. :)