Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2008

Liar's List

I read some unrelated stuff in the news this weekend, which prompted me to dredge up some thoughts about clichés and misconceptions people have about lies, especially my kids. :)

  1. Lying is a victimless crime. Yea, right... I love you too. :)
  2. Lying takes imagination. No, lying takes a complete lack of imagination. Imagining how easily lying can make you look like a complete idiot creates truth tellers.
  3. Lying is a short cut to a life you’ve never lived. Try living the life you’re creating for yourself instead. It’s easier to remember the truth.
  4. White lies spare feelings. Try using your imagination to avoid white lies. For example, if a fat person asks you if a particular piece of clothing makes them look fat, say no. It’s the truth. After all, they were fat before they asked you, and they didn’t ask you if the clothing made them fatter. Keep the snappy answers to stupid questions to yourself.
  5. Liars will lie about even the small stuff they don’t have to lie about. I think this is because they need to stay in practice. Once a liar has told a thousand lies, the relief and euphoria of telling the truth can lead to an unraveling of their lives.
  6. Nobody cares about lies. Uh… yea… they do.
  7. Lies are the same as storytelling. No, writing entertaining fiction is not lying. Writing an autobiography using fiction is lying.
  8. One way to avoid lying in a situation where you think fiction will make you appear more appealing in the eyes of others is to simply listen, and keep your mouth shut. If you listen with concentration, the opportunity to tell a truth usually appears.
  9. Liars are funny. No, they’re pathetic.
  10. There are good liars and bad liars. Another lie. :)

6 comments:

Virginia Lady said...

I learned a long time ago that it is so much easier to tell the truth. It's made life a lot more interesting as well. I just wish everyone get that message too.

BernardL said...

It's a tough lesson for some, VL, and impossible for others.

Bernita said...

I'd never be good at lying, so I don't bother -- too lazy. Lying is just to complicated for my simple brain. As Virginia says, it's just easier to tell the truth.
However, there are times when I don't tell the WHOLE truth - just the necessary parts of it. And therefore sometimes have been guilty of what is known as suggestio falsi as a result.

BernardL said...

'However, there are times when I don't tell the WHOLE truth - just the necessary parts of it. And therefore sometimes have been guilty of what is known as suggestio falsi as a result.'

The conclusions others jump to are their problem, Bernita. :)

eve1521 said...

This is my least favorite of all your blogs, not because of the message (which is very true), but because of the fact you put kids...plural. The only thing I have lied about are my tatoos and I stand by that because it was for your own good...Lying out of Love....I like that. lol. Another cliche to add to your list. :) Love ya anyway.

BernardL said...

'The only thing I have lied about are my tatoos and I stand by that because it was for your own good'

Another lie! :))))